Thursday, March 17, 2011

Working harder!

As soon as I was old enough to notice there are people in the world other than me I have noticed that my mom can't take a compliment.  Every "You look great!" my mother gets is followed by a "Oh yea" (insert heavy sacastic tone).  "Wow this dessert is wonderful."  is followed by "Oh it was nothing, really."  I have fussed at her for years.  Just accept how great you are and say "Thank you".  Now I am a mom and most of my friends are moms and I have found that it must be a mom thing.  I have been working hard lately to lose some weight and I have been pretty successful.  I have been met with lots of "Wow Mary Lynn you look so skinny", "you have lost some weight, you look great" you know that kind of thing.  All these compliments and words of encouragement ususally get the same response "Whatever!!!  I am so not skinny!" or "I still have lots to lose."  Why is it so hard to say thank you???  I think once we become mothers we want to shift the focus from ourselves to others.  For some strange reason as moms we think that if we accept a compliment it means we are making others feel bad.   Like if my mom accepts a compliment on a wonderful dessert she is saying "it wouldn't hurt you to crack a cook book every now and then".  So today and am going to start trying to listen to what I have been telling my Momma for years.  I am working harder at saying thank you and being proud of the things that I do and not making it out to be no big deal.  And my hope is that all my mommy friends will do the same because you are all FABULOUS!

1 comment: