Sunday, October 24, 2010

Potty Training and Positive Reinforcement!

We first moved to Clarkesville 4 years ago.  My sweet Jackson was almost 2 and Joel was just 5 months old.  We made a big deal of Jackson being a big boy and moving into a big boy bed and maybe trying to use the potty.  Poor Jackson didn't realize the addition of his new brother meant he was being rushed out of his crib.  Not only did he not notice that Baby Joel was getting all his old "baby" stuff, he didn't care.  He loved his big boy room and his big boy bed and in general being a big boy!  He came to me one day and said "Mommy I go poo poo on the potty.  I'm big boy!"  I responded "OK Jackson lets go potty."  thinking to myself he isn't even 2 yet, he isn't going to use the potty but he wanted to go and I took that as a good sign so we went to the potty.  I was amazed!  My boy did it!  He poo pooed on the potty!  Surely no child has ever been as smart as my child!  He is a genius!!!!!  I think I freaked him out a little I was so excited because the great beginning was about it!  Jackson was nearly 3 before he was consistently going to the potty and I drove us both crazy in the process.  I vowed after Jackson that I would not push the issue with Joel.  And Joel, much like his mother, just decides to do something and does it!  He was easy, I am sure it is mostly due to the fact that I didn't push it with him.
Now my baby my sweet sweet Jensen is growing up!  "I go pee pee potty Mommy."  He is starting the process on his own and this is the last time I will have to (get to) potty train a baby.  Only a mother would get teary eyed at the thought of not changing diapers any more.  It's a right of passage, he is a big boy now for sure.  And only a mother can understand the joy I have when I am sitting with my baby at the potty and he pees and in the sweetest voice you have ever heard he says (before I get a chance) "Good job!"  

1 comment:

  1. cute! i bet hearing sweet jensen say 'good job' was one of the cutest things ever! what a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete