Sunday, December 5, 2010

Focusing on the good

I saw a church marquee today, the message "We don't need more to be thankful for, we need to be more thankful."  This has been a not so great year for our family.  I have struggled this holiday season to be thankful for all that I have.  In an effort to not focus on what we have lost this holiday season I am focusing on what we have gained.  We have gained inches and pounds and vocabulary.  Let the list begin!

-Jackson asks me what he can do for me often.
-Jackson is reading and loving school.  He was a KIP kid of the week for perseverance.
-Joel learned to ride a bike with no training wheels.
-We played and loved soccer and tee ball.
-Jensen has grown from a baby to a rough and tumble boy, in the mix with his brothers.
-I have a new niece and she is beautiful.
-This is the first year in nearly 7 years that I have not been pregnant or nursing.  I love my babies but I also love that my body has been my own. 
-Joel and Jackson fight a little less and laugh a lot more.
-After being retired for nearly 2 years my Dad is actually working a little less and that means he is having more fun.  Although I secretly think my Dad has lots of fun at work.
-Jensen is trying to use the potty.  No more diapers is definitely good!
-I have a least one more "bff" this year than I did last.
-We purchased a piece of property for our "dream house", in case our dreams keep us here.
-I have 3 healthy, happy, polite, considerate, compassionate, caring, sensitive boys.
-I have learned to look at Joel's tantrums in a positive light.  He knows EXACTLY what he wants and sticks to his guns!
-I am able to stay home with my sweet boys and be there for anything they need.  I love the field trips and taking cookies to school and helping plant flowers.
-My very best friend got married and I got to be a part of that happy day.

I'm sure I could go on and on with the things I have gained this year but this will do for now.


2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing list and a wonderful way to count your blessings in 2010. You guys had more than your fair share. My prayer for you is a wonderful 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lindsey, what an amazing list. Thanks for reminding me that there is always something to be thankful. Thankful for your blog and your friendship!

    ReplyDelete