Monday, September 6, 2010

I think they're listening but I am not sure they're getting it.

Here are a couple of examples of Jackson listening to what we say.  My boys are always asking for things,  can we have a milkshake, can we go to Walmart and get a prize, can we get a ring pop, I want a remote control motorcycle.  It seems never ending.  Most of the time they get the response "We don't have any $ for that."  A few weeks ago we went to visit my parents.  As soon as we got there my mom took us to lunch.  We all hopped in the car and 
Jackson asks: 
"Where are we going   Grandma?" 
Grandma: "To lunch Jackson." 
Jackson: "We can't go to lunch." 
Grandma: "Why not?"
Jackson: "We don't have any money."
Grandma: "Who doesn't have any money?"
Jackson: (pointing around feverishly) "Everyone in this car who's last name is Tinsley!"


Fast forward to yesterday... Jackson is outside with his Daddy cleaning cars.  "Daddy are we out of money because the Mazda exploded?"  


I think my boys are having a little trouble distinguishing the difference between we don't have any money and we don't have money FOR THAT!  We have money to eat, we don't have money for McDonald's EVERYDAY.  We have money to pay our car payment, we don't have money to buy ANOTHER train.  We have money to pay for school and supplies that go with school, we don't have money for moon sand.   You get the point right?  Now can someone come over and explain it to my boys?

4 comments:

  1. MaryLynn, I just love love love how your personality is so evident in your words...I can just hear you telling the story. Very cute & fun to read. Your boys are darling. I don't get to comment much (since I'm usually holding a baby while I read) but your blog is very cute! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just imagine what pearls of wisdom he's been sharing with his teacher while you're not around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had the same conversation in our house. Isn't that funny!
    BTW, Hailey thinks that Peppermint Patties are called monies because everytime we leave a resturant and she asks for one she gets one of the following responses:
    "I don't have any money"
    "Let me see if I have any money" or
    "Ask daddy if he has any money"

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know my girls think money is just there for the taking or using or spending...whenever I say we don't have money to go to McDonald's or Sonic or ChiFilA, I get informed that Madelynne's piggy bank has whole dollars in it! well, I might just raid it then!

    ReplyDelete