Monday, September 27, 2010

Perception is a funny thing!

I had a girls night out to celebrate my best friend this weekend.  She is getting married so a group of friends got together for big fun!  Well I am a mother of 3 small children which most, if not all, of you know so as hard as I try not to I inevitably talk about my boys.  So the topic of my blog came up and someone mentioned that I have an obvious favorite.  Perception is a funny thing because while this person felt like Joel is my favorite others (specifically my mom) think I am way too hard on Joel.  Perception is a funny thing.  I have put a lot of thought into this over the last 2 days.  Here is what I have decided. I don't write about Joel more because I am over compensating, I write about Joel more because he is the entertainer of the family.  He loves to be the center of attention, he loves to make people laugh.

So this brings me to the question I have been asked before, "How can you not have a favorite?"  I am their mother that is how.   I love them equally but uniquely.   All three of my boys are handsome and smart and sweet but they add their own special twist to this perfect package.  

Jackson is a thinker, he has to know the why and how of things which drives his Daddy crazy sometimes.  He likes order in his day.  He wants to know what is coming so he can prepare for it.  He loves information.  He  chooses to watch documentaries about toys or trains over cartoons.  He knows more about trains than anyone I know.  I love watching his wheels turn.  My first born, my starter baby, he made us a family and not just a couple.  His insight is constantly amazing me.

That brings me to my Sweet Joel.  The family entertainer.  He is a dancing machine.   He walks into school and every kid stops what they are doing "Hi Joel, Joel is here!"  He is fun to be around, the life of the party!  He loves his big brother and wants to do everything he does.  He loves his little brother and he wants to teach him everything he knows (good and not so good).   He has no fear, which has already landed him in the ER leaving with 7 stitches.  He LOVES his family.  I can't even count the number of times he tells me he loves me in a day.  "Mommy I just love love love you!"  Joel I just love love love you too!  My middle child, I know exactly how you feel, not the oldest and not the youngest.  That is why we have to entertain, if you aren't the first born or the baby you have to find a way into the lime light!

And that brings me to my baby!  Jensen, JP, Jensey P, Little Mouth, Booger Bear, his nicknames go on and on!  Most often among his family he is JP.  He is so sweet!  That smile just melts me.  His favorite thing right now is his Mommy!  I can't describe how it makes me feel when he squeezes me tight and buries his face in my neck.  I just want to hold onto him forever.  He runs across a room and jumps into my arms even if it has only been an hour since he saw me last.  He is inquisitive, he loves to read, loves to sing and dance.  He is always listening, well they are all always listening!  So that keeps me on my toes.  I have to keep the front door chained or he escapes.  I have to keep the cabinets locked or he drinks Orange Glo.  I have to keep the bathroom door shut or he wastes gallons and gallons of water flushing the toilet over and over.  Basically he is a busy boy!  My baby, my last chance to get it all right (I have already blown that by the way).


So how could you have a favorite?  They are each perfect in their own way.  They have each touched my heart in their own special way.  They are all mine and I am theirs (for better or worse).  I know them better than anyone else in the world.  I knew them first, their personalities were even evident in the womb.  My life has been made better with each addition.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. And I so know what you mean about not getting it right the third time, either...oh well, I think Millie Moo and Jensey P have both turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete